[Fedora-directory-users] notes on building fds in etch and a failed build question

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 17:05:33 UTC 2008

Ryan Braun wrote:
> <snip>
>> Mostly correct.  The only thing is that the way the console works, it
>> downloads the ds and ds-admin jar files from the admin server.  However,
>> if you build them on the client machine and install them into
>> $HOME/.fedora-idm-console/jars then the console will just use the local
>> ones.
>>

> Ok,  well I tried installing the windows console on one of the windows boxes
> around here (easier then downloading fc isos :) ),  fired up the console and
> am able to connect and it looks like it wants to work,  then it reports back
> that it can't find the jars.
Right.  The windows console works the same way - it tries to download
the server specific jar files from the admin server via http.
> So that being said,  is there an easy way to
> use FC jars,  or do I need to build them for debian?  (I have started trying
> to build jss but am having some issues)

Yes.  Just grab them from /usr/share/dirsrv/html/java.  I suggest using
tar or another program to preserve the symlinks - but no big deal as the
jar files are small if you use cp and get redundant copies.  The jar
files are platform independent.

>>> To be honest,  I haven't really looked into the different post install
>>> process' with 1.1.0 since 1.0.4 so the reason I could have missing
>>> entries in the console could very well be my own fault :)
>>>
>>> Also,  if I want to fine tune the location of some of directories during
>>> build.  is it safe to modify the CONFIGURE_ARGS variable in the
>>> adminserver and ldapserver's Makefile?  I want to put
>>> /opt/dirsrv/etc/dirsrv into /etc/dirsrv aswell as /opt/dirsrv/var into
>>> /var?
>>>
>> Yes, for those components whose configure respect --sysconfdir and
>> --localstatedir - which means not the mozilla components (mozldap, etc.)
>> but everything else should work just fine.  You'll also have to tweak
>> the --prefix argument which is set by default.
>>

> I'll play around with some options.  I've started a wiki page for the debian
> build.  I don't have it linked onto the main page,  but you can check it out
> in recent changes.

Ok.  Thanks!