[Fedora-directory-users] ldap commands require "-Y GSSAPI". Fixable with "Identity Mapping" ?

Howard Chu hyc at symas.com
Fri Jan 25 20:21:00 UTC 2008

> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:57:55 -0700
> From: Rich Megginson<rmeggins at redhat.com>

> Listbox wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I have sasl-gssapi installed. But to use any ldap clients like ldapsearch or
>> ldapmodify, I must specify "-Y GSSAPI" , else I get a "no mechanism
>> available" error. Is this an "Identity Mapping" problem, an ldap.conf
>> problem, or is it "as designed"?
>>
> OpenLDAP ldapsearch, ldapmodify, etc. (/usr/bin/ldapsearch etc.) attempt
> to use SASL by default.  If you use the -x argument, it will use simple
> userDN/password bind.

It sounds like, since he went to the effort of installing sasl-gssapi, that he
actually wants to use SASL Binds though.

When no mechanism is specified, the client library tries to read the
supportedSASLMechanisms attribute from the server's rootDSE. If the rootDSE is
unreadable (due to ACLs most likely) then you'll get this type of failure.

--
   -- Howard Chu