[Fedora-directory-users] Windows console

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Jan 4 16:41:10 UTC 2008

Ian Blackwell wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I've been using Red Hat and Fedora for almost 9 years now (just last
> month I decommissioned my oldest RH7.2 server).  I've had LDAP servers
> working with FC5 and haven't had a problem.  I'm a RH Technician and
> am hoping to gain Engineer qualifications next month, so I feel
> familiar with Fedora and RH products.
>
> In December I built a new server for my home network based on Fedora 8
> and decided to use Fedora Directory Services as well.  Perhaps the
> fresh install contributed to my jaundiced view of FDS, because I had
> more problems than I expected getting my new server working the way I
> wanted (Postfix/Cyrus issue predominately).
If these are issues with Postfix/Cyrus integration with Fedora DS, I'd
like to know what they are.

> Anyway, when I got to FDS it would be fair to say I was annoyed with
> F8.  I even downloaded Ubuntu and almost got to the point of burning a
> DVD to see if it might be easier than F8.  In this frame of mind I
> wasn't able to cope well with the frustration of trying to get FDS 1.1
> working, using the documentation from the FDS website.  I found it
> particularly unhelpful with respect to FDS 1.1 and F8.  I found stacks
> of information about FC6 and 1.0.4, but had real trouble finding
> useful doco about F8 and FDS 1.1.  The confusion about what was in and
> out of the release, the packaging changes, and having problems
> accessing the console just made be p---ed off.  I also had trouble
> finding where the yum updates were, which was my fault for not reading
> properly the doco that was useful.
I've seen no problems reported with using the Fedora Core 6 bits of
Fedora DS 1.0.4 on Fedora 7 and higher.  What problems have you run into?

Fedora DS 1.1 will fully support Fedora 7 and higher.  I'm just waiting
for the bits to be released and pushed out to the mirror sites - that's
only holdup with the official final Fedora DS 1.1 release.

Getting Fedora DS running on Ubuntu will be much harder than getting it
running on Fedora.  I would like this to change, provided someone with
some time and Debian/Ubuntu expertise can help out the project.  Now
that everything is fully autotool-ized and FHS-ized (at least the Fedora
DS bits) it should be easy to build it on platforms other than
RHEL/Fedora.  If you're interested, see
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building