[Fedora-directory-users] Migrate users from Netscape LDAP to Red Hat DS

Ankur Agarwal ankur_agwal at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 22:00:10 UTC 2008

Thanks Richard!

  But how does Red Hat DS know that it need not rehash the password?

  e.g. Suppose I create a ldif file saying:
  userPassword=testppassword

  and export another ldif:
  userPassword=xyzRR$#==

  First one is in plain english since I create that and second one is in hashed format because I have exported an existing user. Now if i import these 2 to another Red Hat instance how will that new instance know that second one is already hashed?

  regards,
  Ankur

Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:
  Ankur Agarwal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We want to migrate users from Netscape LDAP to RedHat DS. On RedHat we
> have created a similar schema (as existing on netscape) and now plan
> to export LDIF from Netscape and import that into RedHat DS. This
> should work fine but what will happen to the user passwords since in
> the export they will be hashed. Will they get successfully imported
> into RedHat or will they get rehashed during the import thus sopiling
> the migration.
They will be migrated. Red Hat DS should support all of the password
hashing schemes used by Netscape DS (unless you are using crypt or a
custom scheme).