[Fedora-directory-users] Paged Results support?

Ben abnormaliti at clivepeeters.com.au
Thu Jan 17 00:51:31 UTC 2008

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> Masato Taruishi wrote:

>>> Sorry i thought you were referring to getting paged support added to
>>> FDS, what do you mean "If the paged results control is not marked
>>> critical, fedora ds will ignore it." with reference to 'nss_ldap'?
>>>
>> nss_ldap doesn't seem to set the criticality of the paged result
>> control:
>>
>>   rc = ldap_carete_page_control(__session.ls_conn,
>>                                 __session.ls_config->ldc_pagesize,
>>                                 NULL, 0, &serverCtrls[0]);
>>
>> which means fedora-ds just ignore the control.
>>

> I don't think any client really needs that control.  The only reason
> many were forced into at least __knowing__ about it is that Active
> Directory returns pagedResults response even if not requested, in
> blatant violation of LDAPv3.  So both the users and the developers of
> FDS can safely ignore its existence.  Only client developers need to
> know about it if they want their clients to be able to interoperate with AD.
>
> p.

If i recall correctly the reason i started using paged results was to
exceed the 'sizelimit' restriction when i was using OpenLDAP.  i.e. if
"sizelimit = 100" you could get 300 results using paged results.

So in relation to 'nss_ldap' isn't that what the "nss_paged_results yes"
and "pagesize 1000" options are good for?  So with a directory of >2000
users nss_ldap could get them all when the server has sizelimit set to
say 1000.

Ben