[Fedora-directory-users] Creating backup LDAP server.

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Thu Jul 10 22:52:05 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 04:18:28PM -0600, Rich Megginson wrote:
> When you run setup-ds-admin.pl, and it asks you for the hostname, does
> it have the correct hostname or the bogus one?  If you specify the
> correct hostname at the dialog prompt, it will use the correct one
> throughout.

I'm not sure... I can no longer run that script because...

Configuration directory server
administrator ID [admin]:
Password:
Password (confirm):
Error: the server already exists at '/etc/dirsrv/slapd-unix-services2'
Please remove it first if you really want to recreate it,
or use a different ServerIdentifier to create another instance.
When using Silent or Express mode, some of the
dialogs are skipped, but validation is still performed
on the default or given answers.  You should run this program again and
choose Typical or Custom mode in order to provide a valid input
for the problem dialog.

Exiting . . .

I've tried to remove it, but

[root at unix-services2 ~]# /usr/sbin/ds_removal -s unix-services2 -w
mypassword

Error:The server '' is not reachable.  Error: unknown error

> >[10/Jul/2008:14:56:40 -0700] - ERROR: target server has no NetscapeRoot
> >configured
> >[10/Jul/2008:14:56:40 -0700] - archive2db: Failed to read backup file
> >set. Either the directory specified doesn't exist, or it exists but
> >doesn't contain a valid backup set, or file permissions prevent the
> >server reading the backup set.  error=53 (Invalid request descriptor)
> >[root at unix-services2 ~]# ls /var/lib/dirsrv/slapd-unix-services2/in/
> >DBVERSION       dse_instance.ldif  NetscapeRoot
> >dse_index.ldif  log.0000000076     userRoot
> The backup was created in a server with both userRoot and NetscapeRoot,
> but you are attempting to restore it in a server that does not have
> NetscapeRoot.  You need to create a root suffix called o=NetscapeRoot
> with an associated database called NetscapeRoot.  You can do this in the
> console.  *http://tinyurl.com/595tyy*

Unfortunately, I don't know what "o=NetscapeRoot" means.  I see
references to that all over the place.  On the working server, there's a
/etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/adm.conf file that contains that line, but I do
not have an adm.conf on this new server.

Is there a way to back out of this without uninstalling fedora-ds?  make
it completely forget about everything I've done so I can just start from
scratch and try again?