[Fedora-directory-users] newbie question - roles AND groups?

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Jun 19 13:40:13 UTC 2008

Grzegorz Marszałek wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm newbie to Fedora Directory, but is has two significant features -
> acl and nested roles.
>
> But I could find a way to use roles as groups. That is - I'd like to
> define role, and then use this to define posix group, which I can use
> via nss_ldap on my servers. At first glance it seems that dynamic
> groups will do what I want - I just defined filter to include all
> users with particular role in group. But unfortunately dynamic groups
> aren't resolved by server, you need client aplication to do that :(
>

> So the question is: is there any way to do this without writing my own
> slapi plugin?
No, not currently.  But several other users have expressed an interest
in a feature like this.  There is another new feature related to this
concept that is currently in Fedora DS and being improved for the next
version - http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/MemberOf_Plugin

Would you be able to create a wiki page to explain your requirements for
such a feature?  That would be a very good place to start designing this
feature.