[Fedora-directory-users] YUM and 64 bit upgrade to 1.1 questions

Ken Marsh kmarsh at gdrs.com
Mon Mar 10 15:12:32 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have some questions upgrading 3 Red Hat systems (ES3, 4 x86 &
ES5x86_64, one each) from FDS 1.01-4 to 1.1.

1.	On RHES5.1 x86_64, is it safe to do yum to update the
installation? There are a lot of warnings out there about yum vs Beta of
1.1. Should I remove all of 1.01-4 first?
2.	Should I be using redhat-ds instead of fedora-ds for supported
RH systems?
3.	Searching for packages in rhn.redhat.com, there is no redhat-ds
available. Shouldn't it be there? I have entitlements for 3, 4 and 5.
4.	Must I use YUM for Enterprise 4 systems? Why can't I just
download an FDS 1.1 RPM and install it? It would be much easier than
converting E4 systems to YUM.
5.	If I must use YUM, is there some EASY, STRAIGHTFORWARD
instructions for installing YUM on ES4? Everything out there seems to
assume I am setting up some grand upgrade redistribution engine when all
I want is a few packages.

Ken Marsh

ANS System Administration Lead

(410) 876-9200