[Fedora-directory-users] Re: Windows sync: how do you populate the posixUser attributes?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 15:30:02 UTC 2008

Kenneth Holter wrote:

> I'm not very into fedora/redhat direcoty server (DS), but thought I'd
> just drop a quick question: It doesn't seems like Windows Sync is
> intended for syncing  AD users to DS so that users defined on AD can
> be allowed to log into Linux machines.
I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Do you mean because the posix
attributes are not synced, you cannot create a user in AD that is synced
to Fedora DS and Linux machine login "just works" with no additional work?
> It is possible to get this working, however, through a series of
> manual steps. So what is the intended purpose for Windows Sync, if I
> might ask, as it seems a lot simpler just to manage everything
> directly from DS without syncing with AD?
I think most people use it to sync passwords, so that you can have the
same password on AD as Unix/Linux, and when you change the password on
one side, that change is synced to the other side.