[Fedora-directory-users] Windows sync: Synchronization of group membership

Erling Ringen Elvsrud erlingre at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 09:34:50 UTC 2008

Hello list,

According to the RHDS Administration Guide in the chapter on
Windows Sync(page 531):

"The membership of groups is synchronized with the constraint that
only those members that are also within the scope of the agreement are
propagated"
(note that I did not read this before the test)

I have tried the following:

In AD I have:

ou=LinuxUsers
ou=LinuxGroups

I have configured two separate synchronization agreements in RHDS, one
that populate ou=People from ou=LinuxUsers in AD and one that
populate ou=Groups from ou=LinuxGroups in AD.

The synchronization works, and after it is complete I use ldapsearch
on ou=Groups in RHDS and ou=LinuxGroups in AD and the
member-attributes is indeed missing on the RHDS side.

So, in order to keep group-membership I need to synchronize the parent ou of
both users and groups. So something like
ou=LinuxUsers,ou=Linux, dc=... and
ou=LinuxGroups, ou=Linux, dc=... must be created in AD, and in the
synchronization agreement I will sync ou=Linux and get both users and groups.
The alternative is to synchronize with the current parrent of
LinuxUsers and LinuxGruops.

Is this correct?

Do you know why this "limitation" exists?

Thanks

Erling