[Fedora-directory-users] Windows sync: Synchronization of group membership

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 15:20:31 UTC 2008

Erling Ringen Elvsrud wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> According to the RHDS Administration Guide in the chapter on
> Windows Sync(page 531):
>
> "The membership of groups is synchronized with the constraint that
> only those members that are also within the scope of the agreement are
> propagated"
> (note that I did not read this before the test)
>
> I have tried the following:
>
> In AD I have:
>
> ou=LinuxUsers
> ou=LinuxGroups
>
> I have configured two separate synchronization agreements in RHDS, one
> that populate ou=People from ou=LinuxUsers in AD and one that
> populate ou=Groups from ou=LinuxGroups in AD.
>
> The synchronization works, and after it is complete I use ldapsearch
> on ou=Groups in RHDS and ou=LinuxGroups in AD and the
> member-attributes is indeed missing on the RHDS side.
>
> So, in order to keep group-membership I need to synchronize the parent ou of
> both users and groups. So something like
> ou=LinuxUsers,ou=Linux, dc=... and
> ou=LinuxGroups, ou=Linux, dc=... must be created in AD, and in the
> synchronization agreement I will sync ou=Linux and get both users and groups.
> The alternative is to synchronize with the current parrent of
> LinuxUsers and LinuxGruops.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Do you know why this "limitation" exists?

I think it is a side effect of the way the AD DirSync control works - it
applies to the domain suffix (dc=company,dc=com) and all sub containers
(OUs, CNs) under that suffix.  It does not apply only to specific
subtrees under the domain suffix.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms677626(VS.85).aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891995