[Fedora-directory-users] Migrating Netscape DS to FDS

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sat Oct 4 15:46:16 UTC 2008

Edward Capriolo wrote:
> Everyone here hit on the main points. The products are made from the
> same code base so usually you only face minor schema changes.

Edward, please don't take it personally but without knowing the original
poster's directory deployment you cannot assume only minor schema
changes. I've setup Netscape DS 4.x deployments myself with massive
schema changes.

> If you
> directory is small you can usually use the ldapsearch and ldapmodify
> command line tools. Some entire corporate directories are less then
> 4000 entries and export in less then a second. They import in less
> then 1 minute.

Using ldapsearch/ldapmodify for migration has the disadvantage of
loosing the operational attributes. This might be ok for this migration
but has to be considered carefully.

I'd strongly recommend to export with db2ldif and sanitize the LDIF data
if needed before doing an import.

Without knowing further details detailed recommendations are hard to give.

Ciao, Michael.