[Fedora-directory-users] questions about 2 node multi-master setup

Luke Schierer luke-fds at schierer.org
Tue Sep 2 17:00:38 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 03:06:04PM -0400, Luke Schierer wrote:
> Hi,
> I just set up Fedora Directory Server on two nodes, and have set up
> multi-master replication between them following the directions at
> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:WalkthroughMultimasterSSL
>
> It seems to mostly work, but I have a few questions.
>
> 1)After initializing nodeB and restarting nodesA and B, I can no
> longer connect to nodeB with the Console application.  If I type in
> its hostname, it connects, but I can only open up the slapd directory
> if nodeA is up.  I can continue to log into nodes authenticating
> against the pair, and I can use the command line utities to connect to
> nodeB.  Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
>

> 2)if I change a password (using the passwd command on a client) while
> nodeA is down, or add a user with ldapmodify while nodeA is down, the
> change does not seem to replicate back to nodeA after it comes back
> up.  Do I have to force an initialization in such cases?
>
> Thanks,
> Luke

A couple of additional details.  This is on a 32-bit Redhat Enterprise
5 server.  The first issue only happens if I set it to replicate
ou=NetscapeRoot, which appears to be necessary for the global password
policy to replicate.  Is there a better way to achieve this?

I tried using the fdstool script in one archived email, but that gave
me errors when I tried to run it, and so I turned to the more manual
instructions in the MultimasterSSL guide. I removed my fedora-ds
install between trying with the script and doing it myself following
the guide.

Thanks,
Luke