[Fedora-directory-users] questions about 2 node multi-master setup

Luke Schierer luke-fds at schierer.org
Tue Sep 2 19:00:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 11:19:55AM -0600, Rich Megginson wrote:
> Luke Schierer wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 03:06:04PM -0400, Luke Schierer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I just set up Fedora Directory Server on two nodes, and have set up
>>> multi-master replication between them following the directions at
>>> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:WalkthroughMultimasterSSL
>>>
>>> It seems to mostly work, but I have a few questions.
>>>
>>> 1)After initializing nodeB and restarting nodesA and B, I can no
>>> longer connect to nodeB with the Console application.  If I type in
>>> its hostname, it connects, but I can only open up the slapd directory
>>> if nodeA is up.  I can continue to log into nodes authenticating
>>> against the pair, and I can use the command line utities to connect to
>>> nodeB.  Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
>>>

>>> 2)if I change a password (using the passwd command on a client) while
>>> nodeA is down, or add a user with ldapmodify while nodeA is down, the
>>> change does not seem to replicate back to nodeA after it comes back
>>> up.  Do I have to force an initialization in such cases?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Luke
>>>

>> A couple of additional details.  This is on a 32-bit Redhat Enterprise
>> 5 server.  The first issue only happens if I set it to replicate
>> ou=NetscapeRoot, which appears to be necessary for the global password
>> policy to replicate.
> I don't think that is true.  What leads you to believe that?

Because I tried once without having the ou=NetscapeRoot set to
replicate, and the password policy did not show as set on the other
console.  Still, perhaps I did something wrong.

>> Is there a better way to achieve this?
>>
> Have you seen this - http://tinyurl.com/6apcfq

I had not, my fault for now reading the full manual it appears, as it
has extra steps for setting up the second instance.  I will try with
these directions.

Thanks for the pointer!!

Luke