[Fedora-directory-users] fds 1.1+ not setting nsslapd-instancedir on install?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 17:30:26 UTC 2008

Ryan Braun [ADS] wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 September 2008 16:57, Rich Megginson wrote:
>
>>> shodan:/home/ryan/fdstools# ldapsearch -x -h yzxXXXX0 -D "cn=Directory
>>> Manager" -W -b "cn=config" "objectclass=*"|grep instancedir
>>> Enter LDAP Password:
>>> nsslapd-instancedir:
>>> shodan:/home/ryan/fdstools# ldapsearch -x -h yzxXXXX0 -D "cn=Directory
>>> Manager" -W -b "cn=config" "objectclass=*"|grep nsslapd-ldifdir
>>> Enter LDAP Password:
>>> nsslapd-ldifdir: /var/lib/dirsrv/slapd-yzxdmns0/ldif
>>>

>>> For now I'm useing nsslapd-ldifdir and just ~ s/\/ldif// to cut off the
>>> ldir directory,  but am just confirming this behavior is intended.  FWIW
>>> I built the packages myself,  so it could very well be my own fault :P
>>>
>> Well, it depends - what were you using nsslapd-instancedir for?  There
>> are several other attributes you could use now, depending on what you're
>> trying to do.
>>

> I was using nsslapd-instancedir to as the ref point on where to put the
> changelog db files.  Which by default in the console (1.1+)
> is /var/lib/dirsrv/slapd-INSTANCE/changelog.

If you want the changelog directory, use nsslapd-directory, and see
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/cli/8.0/Configuration_Command_File_Reference-Plug_in_Implemented_Server_Functionality_Reference-Database_Plug_in_Attributes.html#Configuration_Command_File_Reference-Database_Attributes_under_cnconfig_cnldbm_database_cnplugins_cnconfig-nsslapd_directory

when you grab that attribute, just replace /db$ with /cldb to construct
the changelog directory.

> But I couldn't find any attributes that would just point
> to /var/lib/dirsrv/slapd-INSTANCE/.  Which was what I assumed
> nsslapd-instancedir was for.

No.  Fedora 1.0 put everything under /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-instance - so
there was a single "instance" directory.  Fedora DS 1.1 is FHS-ified -
see http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FHS_Packaging