[Fedora-directory-users] logconv showing unindexed searches on indexed attributes.

James Chavez james.chavez at sanmina-sci.com
Tue Apr 21 05:29:51 UTC 2009

Hello List,
I have a directory with 20,000 plus users.
The output from logconv is showing me that I have unindexed searches with a
search filter of '(uidNumber=*)'.
However my uidNumber attribute is indeed indexed.

The documentation states the following
" In Directory Server, when examining an index, if more than a certain
number of entries are found, the server stops reading the index  and marks
the search as unindexed for that particular index."

 I believe this is what is going on because if i increase the
idlistscanlimit the searches no longer show as unindexed.

So a few questions.
Is this a serious warning or error and does it effect performance? It seems
to me that it renders the indexes useless for directories with more than
4,000 entries unless the idlistscanlimit is increased.

Can I increase it only for the uidNumber or chosen attributes attributes? I
am assuming the answer to this is no since it seems to be set globally.

Is there a tool similar to OpenLDAP's slapindex utility to maintain index
integrity in FDS or is it not necessary?

Thank you