[Fedora-directory-users] Storing email distribution lists in DS

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Tue Apr 28 15:16:40 UTC 2009

Hello, all.  A bunch of tired googling hasn't quite given us what we
need so I thought I'd ask the list.  Is there a way to store email
distribution lists in DS?

We are in the midst of integrating DS and Zimbra. We elected to not use
DS as the LDAP store for Zimbra despite the excellent community
contributions to make it possible.  We did this in case a future upgrade
to Zimbra makes major schema changes which could potentially break our
setup.

Instead, we opted to use DS as an external LDAP authentication source
and GAL for Zimbra. This is working very nicely but we've hit a bit of a
wall with distribution lists.  We don't want to store them in Zimbra
because they do not show up in our exclusively external GAL but we do
not know how to store them in DS.  The groupofmailenhanceduniquenames
looks interesting but is apparently reserved for future use.  mailgroup
looks useful but we are not sure how to use it.  It looks like an object
class which is added to a user object and not a group object.  Can
anyone point us in the right direction? Thanks - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com