[389-users] URGENT: some problems with 389 1.2.1

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Aug 20 20:41:01 UTC 2009

Do not upgrade to 389 1.2.1 until you have read this message.

Bug 518418 -  Package rename shuts down server, results in unconfigured
package
This was caused by renaming the packages from fedora-ds to 389.  This
causes RPM to first remove the fedora-ds-base and fedora-ds-admin
packages which triggers this %preun scriptlet in the spec:

%preun
if [ $1 = 0 ]; then
        /sbin/service %{pkgname} stop >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
        /sbin/chkconfig --del %{pkgname}
fi

So not only does it shutdown your directory and admin servers, it
removes the chkconfig settings, including your run level settings.  This
was an unforeseen consequence of the package rename, and we compounded
the problem by pushing the package out to stable instead of testing
(where it would have likely been caught).

If you intend to upgrade despite this problem, please first save your
run level configuration by using chkconfig --list dirsrv, and schedule
the upgrade when you can tolerate a service interruption.  Is there any
other way around this problem?

Bug 518520 -  pre hashed salted passwords do not work
If you use an external mechanism to generate salted SSHA passwords,
authentication will fail, because the server does not take into account
the salt length.  We have a patch for this ready to go for 1.2.2.