[389-users] # of master-master servers - do I need 4?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Dec 4 16:39:59 UTC 2009

Alan McKay wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I keep seeing reference to 4 servers in all the docs.   Is that a
> magic # of some sort?  i.e. Do I need to have 4?  Or can I have 2 or
> 3?

With 389 there is no limitation - you can have as many or as few as you
want.  The limitation of 4 only applies to Red Hat Directory Server and
even then only applies to tech support - the only real limit is 65,534
masters, but you will usually hit CPU and RAM resource limits before that.
> What I want to do is this :
> - get main server set up here in the office
> - get backup set up in office
> - get another set up at remote site, on other end of VPN
> - remove backup in office
>
> So basically - have 2, then 3, then 2 again.
>
> Seems reasonable to me, but what do I know?

That should be fine.