[389-users] Re: [389-announce] Announcing 389 Directory Server 1.2.5 Release Candidate 2

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Tue Dec 8 17:16:42 UTC 2009

On 12/08/2009 09:09 AM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> Andrey Ivanov wrote:
>> Hi,

>> Well, this time the installation (compiled from sources) was ok. I've
>> also imported my ldif export from 1.1 server.
> Excellent - good to know.
>> The only catch was the
>> syntax check (nsslapd-syntaxcheck: on)  -  had to disable it because
>> of some expiration dates of Generalized Time syntax that were rather
>> approximative (something like X-expirationDate: 201012). The
>> telephoneNumber, on the other hand, is not validated, as far as i
>> understand...
> You have attribute values that use telephoneNumber syntax, that are
> not correct syntax, that the server accepts?
I think Andrey is just referring to the fact that the Telephone Number
syntax is "loose".  It is simply defined as a "PrintableString" in RFC
4517.  We do validate that it meets this criteria, however it's unlikely
that one would have something in there that violates the syntax.  The
Generalized Time syntax is highly structured on the other hand.