[389-users] registered with an admin server behind a firewall

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jul 27 15:53:29 UTC 2009

Joel Heenan wrote:
> The consumers are in a DMZ and have no direct access to the
> configuration server. Obviously the masters are allowed to talk to the
> consumers to send them replication information, but the consumers are
> not allowed to talk back.
>
> In all the guides they say run the perl script register-ds-admin.pl
> and type in the name of the configuration server. But this won't work
> because they aren't allowed to connect. Is there another way say can
> you export the configuration information to an LDIF and then import it ?
It's possible.  Try this: Create a local directory server instance,
inside the firewall, on a different machine than the configuration
directory server.  Export the o=NetscapeRoot database from the config
DS.  Then run register-ds-admin.pl to register the directory server
instance.  Then export the o=NetscapeRoot again, and compare the before
LDIF with the after LDIF.  That should give you a pretty good idea of
what entries and attributes you need.

Note that you will still have to run register-ds-admin.pl on the
consumer machines because there is some additional admin server set up
that needs to be done on each machine, and some configuration of each
remote directory server to allow remote management from the central console.