[389-users] SSL timeouts

Ian Hayes cthulhucalling at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 20:04:49 UTC 2009

I have a Directory server with a read-only replication partner. The servers
and all my client workstations are set to use TLS for commuication, and the
clients are set up with with both hostnames in /etc/ldap.conf.

During a recent maintenace period, we noticed that if we take down the
primary server, it takes 5 minutes for the clients to realize the primary is
down, and to switch over to the backup sever. I'm assuming this is due to
the 300 second timeout for the TLS session. Is there a way to shorten this
to a more acceptable time?