[389-users] Double quoted distinguished names

tamarin p tamarinp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 10:49:54 UTC 2009

Hi,

i apologize that i am revisiting this topic yet again but as we found out,
double quoted distinguished names are no longer possible in 1.2.0. We
initially discovered the problem for the aliasedobjectname class but it
later turned out its a fault with double quoted dns in general and the
schema violation we got for aliasedobjectname was because a doublequoted dn
always leads for some bizare reason to the creation of an attribute with the
double quoted part as the attr/value pair, so the schema violation was
effect rather than cause.. we are also fairly certain they worked prior to
this as we initially did some tests with 1.1.0, 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 without
encountering into any problems with this.

I was told in another thread that the double quoted syntax is deprecated and
that escapes should be used instead. Is it then safe to assume that double
quoted style will not be fixed (or at least have extremely low priority)? We
have some clients who sometimes give us LDIFs for adding to the directory
and they prefer the double quoted syntax as more easily readable. I can
write convert script for them easily enough to handle the obvious cases but
I won't go through the effort if there is a chance this will be fixed one
minor version down the road.