[389-users] Developting a CentOS-DS setup

Doug Coats dcoatshca at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 20:53:25 UTC 2009

I am new to using CentOS-DS and LDAP and I am having difficulty
finding solid information on setting up using CentOS-DS as the
information and authentification center of my network.

I have googled a number of different combinations looking for the
informaiton I need but have not found any good resources to setup what
I am after.  I have downloaded and am going over the Red Hat
documentation and where it is very informative it certainly is not a
Howto.

My biggest need for resources is in setting up the authentification of
different services and LDAP.

I am using CentOS 5.3 and CentOS-DS 8.1.  These I have installed and
running on a test server.

I would like to accomplish the following things in this order.

Linux authentification
Samba authentification
Dovecot authentification

So my questions to begin with are: How do I get Linux to use LDAP to
authenticate instead of the passwd and shadow files?

Once I get that to work: How do I get Linux to to do the normal things
it does with adduser (like create a home directory, create a group,
and things I can't think of)?

If anyone could push me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.