[389-users] Developting a CentOS-DS setup

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Sat Jun 6 22:40:34 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 15:53 -0500, Doug Coats wrote:
> I am new to using CentOS-DS and LDAP and I am having difficulty
> finding solid information on setting up using CentOS-DS as the
> information and authentification center of my network.
>
> I have googled a number of different combinations looking for the
> informaiton I need but have not found any good resources to setup what
> I am after.  I have downloaded and am going over the Red Hat
> documentation and where it is very informative it certainly is not a
> Howto.
>
> My biggest need for resources is in setting up the authentification of
> different services and LDAP.
>
> I am using CentOS 5.3 and CentOS-DS 8.1.  These I have installed and
> running on a test server.
>
> I would like to accomplish the following things in this order.
>
> Linux authentification
> Samba authentification
> Dovecot authentification
>
> So my questions to begin with are: How do I get Linux to use LDAP to
> authenticate instead of the passwd and shadow files?
>
> Once I get that to work: How do I get Linux to to do the normal things
> it does with adduser (like create a home directory, create a group,
> and things I can't think of)?
>
> If anyone could push me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
<snip>
We are using almost an identical setup except for Dovecot and we started
with DS 8.0 and upgraded to 8.1.  I'm afraid I'm up to my eyeballs in a
project so I can't customize this for you but I'll paste in as much of
our internal documentation as would be prudent to do.  You will need to
understand the principles behind the steps so you can adapt it
accordingly.  For example, we installed the master replica on a vserver
- a great project (www.linux-vserver.org) but it does introduce some
complexity to LDAP.  We also use a RO replica on KVM.  Both are in an
iSCSI environment.  We also sync passwords with Active Directory for
multiple clients - oh, and yes, this is a multi-tenant environment -
hence the unusual hierarchical structure and bizarre ACIs.  As I said,
you will need to adapt but hopefully this will get you started.  (and I
hope it is not dropped for SPAM because of its length - hmm come to
think of it, I think I'll send this email separately and then send the
same email with all the notes.  This way, if it does get trapped as
SPAM, you can fish it out).
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation