[389-users] lookthroughlimit and "result: 11 Administrative limit exceeded"

Tim Hartmann hartmann at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 18 21:30:24 UTC 2009

Hi!

So I've got a RHDS installation that I'm serving automount points off
of, and I ran into this error unexpectedly

# search result
search: 2
result: 11 Administrative limit exceeded

# numResponses: 1

I was able to search around and found this in the Doc's which seems to
be the answer:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/8.0/Managing_Indexes.html#About_Indexes-Overview_of_the_Searching_Algorithm

However when I set "lookthroughlimit" to unlimited (-1)  I then start
getting result, but they are horrible!! Seconds between results!
Whereas my old OpenLDAP servers respond immediately to the request! The
search filter that the server seems to be sending is this:
"(&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uidNumber=XXX))"

I'm not super thrilled about allowing unlimited lookthroughlimit on the
whole directory, but I'm not sure how else to get quick results from a
search like that... er... help?!

Thanks

Tim