[Fedora-directory-users] Re: Total number of LDAP entries

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Mar 10 15:29:26 UTC 2009

Branimir wrote:
> David Boreham wrote:
>> Branimir wrote:
>>> so there is no way to find the number of total LDAP entries stored
>>> in FDC?
>> Obviously that's a ridiculous statement. You could at the very least
>> perform a search that
>> returns all entries and count them !
>>
>> The server however does not maintain a running count itself. So one
>> way or another you will
>> need to count the entries.
>>
>> Unless...you configure a VLV index covering the target entries (e.g.
>> all entries). This will
>> as a side-effect maintain the count, which can be retrieved with the
>> appropriate VLV search.
>
> Hi David and Rocio,
>
> David:
> well, I know that I can perform search and count them. I hoped that
> there is some shell command implemented in FDS that could provide this
> number. I administer commercial LDAP solution
Which LDAP solution?
> that provides such command.
What is the command and how does it work?
> In my case this commercial solution charges per directory entry so I
> always have to know entry count. I was hoping FDC has some kind of
> equivalent command.
Assuming your entry cache contains every entry (that is, assuming you
have enough RAM to cache every entry), you can query the entry cache
count and that should be the number of entries in your directory
server.  This is the (apparently) undocumented attribute called
currentEntryCacheCount in the cn=monitor entry for each database.