[389-users] Changed hostname of machine. FDS Admin Server FAILS to start: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name

David (Dave) Donnan david.donnan at thalesgroup.com
Fri May 15 11:06:32 UTC 2009

Hello everybody and thanks for the continued support. It's incredible.

I thought I'd be clever and installed my FDS on a machine with a
hostname of localhost.localdomain

When I rename it to it's proper hostname, a.b.c, the admin server FAILS
when I start it:

        ./dirsrv-admin start
        Starting dirsrv-admin:
        httpd.worker: apr_sockaddr_info_get() failed for a.b.c
        httpd.worker: Could not reliably determine the server's fully
        qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
                                                                   [FAILED]

Honestly, I've tried everything I can think of, for example:

- hacking /etc/init.d/dirsrv-admin
- hacking /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/httpd.conf specifically the variable:
ServerName a.b.c:390
- hacking /usr/sbin/start-ds-admin

Q1. Can anyone recommend a solution ?

Thanks, Dave