[389-users] what are components of FDS?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed May 20 14:09:48 UTC 2009

Ky` Anh, Huy`nh wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2009 11:00:15 -0600
> Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> Ky` Anh, Huy`nh wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am going to install FDS on a FreeBSD jail. This means that FDS
>>> will use FC8 compatibility mode which provided by FreeBSD 7.2. I
>>> downloaded the binary version of FDS 1.04
>>> (fedora-ds-1.0.4-1.FC6.i386.opt.rpm) and my initial installation
>>> worked perfectly. This is only a *test* and now I'd like to
>>> install the latest version of FDS. I searched at
>>>
>>>    http://directory.fedoraproject.org/yum/dirsrv/fedora/
>>>
>>> but there were so many packages that made me confused. I'd like
>>> to know:
>>>
>>> (1) what are components of FDS 1.2.0 and what files should I
>>> download to get FDS worked in FC8? (If FDS binaries work on FC8
>>> they should work on a FreeBSD jail ;)
>>>
>>> (2) is it necessary to start the web interface of FDS? I just
>>> like to setup a LDAP database and then run all from command lines
>>> without touching the web browsers (yes I hate GUI). If this is
>>> the case I will run only FDS service and have nothing to do with
>>> Apache/Java requirements of FDS. In fact I don't want to install
>>> any web servers on my FDS server.
>>>
>>> Your helps are highly appreciated. And if you have ever
>>> experienced FDS on FreeBSD please give me some advices!
>>>

>> fedora-ds-base - core directory server, no UI, no admin server - if
>> you don't care about admin server or console, you can just install
>> this
>>

> Thank you, Rich.
>
> I've built `fedora-ds-base` successfully on FC8. Then I move all built files to my FreeBSD machine to test. You can read some details at http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=24826#post24826.
>
> After chroot-ing to Linux inside FreeBSD I run `setup-ds.pl` to create the first instance of FDS. The script worked very well but it couldnot start the service as below.
>
> /==============================================================================
>
> $ uname -s
> FreeBSD
>
> $ chroot /home/fc8/ /bin/bash
>
> # # now i'm in Linux mode
>
> # /opt/fedora-ds/sbin/ns-slapd \
>   -d 9 \
>   -D /opt/fedora-ds/etc/dirsrv/slapd-fds2 \
>   -i /opt/fedora-ds/var/run/dirsrv/slapd-fds2.pid \
>   -w /opt/fedora-ds/var/run/dirsrv/slapd-fds2.startpid

> [20/May/2009:13:35:18 +0700] - Fedora-Directory/1.2.0 B2009.139.99 starting up
> [20/May/2009:13:35:18 +0700] - Failed to create semaphore for stats
> file (/opt/fedora-ds/var/run/dirsrv/slapd-fds2.stats). Error
> 38.(Function not implemented)
>
> \==============================================================================
>
> FDS tried to create stat file but it failed to do that. So it stopped working.
>
> Is there anyone who experiences this problem?

Yes. I don't know why chroot environments trigger this problem
# in chroot environments, sem_open doesn't work
# gets errno 38 (function not implemented)
# I found some information that says this:
# As sem_open() creates named semaphores, it always tries to share them
between processes.
# Additionally, to support sharing named semaphores with sem_open()
# add a line to /etc/fstab to mount /dev/shm as a tmpfs
# tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
# run mount /dev/shm or reboot

NOTE: you have to mount /dev/shm in the same chroot session as the one
you run the server in - you cannot do something like
chroot "mount /dev/shm"
then in another session
chroot "start-slapd"

The mount does not persist between chroot sessions.