[389-users] valid password characters?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Nov 6 14:23:02 UTC 2009

Derek Alexander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just got this error message back from FDS.
>
> "LDAP: error code 19 - The value is not 7-bit clean"
>
> Looks like it was due to the user putting the following character in their password: '§'
>
> What are the constraints on valid characters in passwords?

There is a 7-bit password checking plugin - this plugin rejects
passwords that contain characters that use more than 7-bits (i.e. plain
old ASCII).  It used to be that older authentication systems/operating
systems would barf on 8-bit passwords, but I don't think that is the
case any longer.  You can disable the the 7-bit plugin to allow 8-bit
passwords.
> Have tried searching but don't see anything documented on the password policy or syntax pages.

It's not really part of the password syntax stuff.