[389-users] posixGroup and 389 DS

Andreas Andersson zreoxx at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 15:40:08 UTC 2009

Hi!

I have a question related to Linux authentication and authorization
against 389 DS.
Hope someone out there has experience about connecting Linux Server to
389 DS.

What I have done is creating posixAccounts, default account groups and
several groups used for admin rights.

First I tried using uniqueMember=<dn> as member reference attribute on
each posix group. It only works with less than 600 users and isn't
ideal as nss_ldap seems to treat the attribute uniqueMember as an
account _or_ a group and runs additional queries on each uniqueMember
found within the group.
Instead I have tested to use memberUid=<uid>. Works much better! No
additional queries. But... I would prefer using full DN as reference
within the directory.

Now over to my questions:
Has anyone successfully used uniqueMember as member attribute for
linux authentication? With several thousands of users ?

Are there any documented "best practices" to setup linux
authentication and authorization against 389? I may have missed them
on Google :) ?

Anyone with experience... I need all feedback I can get right now and
are looking for a long-term working solution.

Best Regards - Andreas

Examples of my idea of using posixGroups (that doesn't do the the
additional queries using memberUid):

# Account:
dn: uid=aandersson,ou=People,dc=domain,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: person
objectClass: posixaccount
gidNumber: 1000
homeDirectory: /home/aandersson
uidNumber: 1000
gecos: Andreas Andersson
loginShell: /bin/bash
givenName: Andreas
uid: aandersson
cn: Andreas Andersson
sn: Andersson

Default Group:
#dn: cn=aandersson,ou=Groups,dc=domain,dc=com
objectClass: posixGroup
objectClass: top
gidNumber: 1000
cn: aandersson

Member Group:
#dn: cn=adminmembers,ou=Groups,dc=domain,dc=com
memberUid: aandersson
memberUid: jdoe
memberUid: jsmith
gidNumber: 1002