[389-users] Is changes to the UID attribute on the directory server synced back to AD when using Windows sync?

Kenneth Holter kenneho.ndu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 12:48:58 UTC 2010

Hi.

We're using Windows sync on our (RedHat) directory server to fetch users
from AD, and have a quick question about the UID attribute: It look to me
like the UID attribute that linux ldap clients use for authentication, is a
attribute created when one adds the posixaccount object class to the user
object. In other words, when user "kenneth" is synced over from AD and I add
the posixaccount object class, then the uid attribute is automatically
created and populated with uid value "kenneth" from some (which one? "name"?
"cn"?) AD attribute. Is this correct? If so, can I assume that making
changes to the uid attribute will not be reflected on the AD side?

Best regards,
Kenneth Holter