docs translation

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 08:20:24 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 21:56, Luiz Rocha wrote:

> > 3. Process for alert translators of new and changed content
>
>   I think the best way is to always post in the fedora-docs list any changes
> made in any document. Translators them should update the translated versions.
> Each translation initiative should have someone responsable for it.
>
>   In the apache-docs list, they had someone mailing every week a status of the
> project, listing which docs required revision/enhancements e etc... We could
> do something like that, including files that need translation and
> translations that require revision/update.

Here's the starting point of an idea, which might get out of hand. :-P

Have the fedora-docs-list receive the CVS commit notice, which would
include log messages and the {unified,context} diff.  The commit message
could then contain information for the translators and other writers
working on the module.

One advantage to this is it helps make public the collaboration process,
so we all can learn from and watch out for each other.

If this ends up being too much noise on the list, we could have a
separate fedora-docs-cvs-commits list for just those who need to
actively watch.  Collaborators can remain subscribed but choose to
disable delivery until they know there are more changes coming.

Alternately, a project leader with CVS admin control could have module
commit messages sent to more granular groups; i.e. the Foo Guide commit
messages would be sent to a group list of everyone working on or
interested in the Foo Guide; this list of recipients would be maintained
through the CVS tools instead of through a mailing list application.

Only other downside that comes to mind -- commit messages might have to
be long enough that you won't be able to put it all on one command line.
:)

Karsten Wade   :      Tech Writer, RHCE     :  o: +1.831.466.9664
kwade at redhat.com : http://rhea.redhat.com/ :   c: +1.831.818.9995
    Red Hat Enterprise Applications : WAF, CMS, Portal Server