[Fwd: USB Key and Fedora Core 2/Gnome2.6 How-To]

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Sun Aug 1 14:30:11 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 14:07, Colin Charles wrote:
> Don't know if we can make this of use in the Docs Project, but it might
> be handy
[...snip...]
> In thanks, I wrote a simple and to the point How-To for using autofs to
> mount a USB memory key on a Fedora Core 2 system.  The How-To is
> available here:
>
> http://www.systemsaligned.com/learn/howto/hwtusbkey
>
> I have noticed other How-To's out there about this very same subject, or
> close to it.  They are helpful too, but I wanted to write a How-To as
> well with my own little slant to it.  I know from experience that the
> more there is written about an open source tool, the easier it has been
> for me to get new things working.  You can never have enough
> documentation, tips and tricks, eh?

I got about halfway there in my updfstab-tutorial for FDP (at
http://docs.frields.org if anyone cares), but there's two things I need
to add:

1. from Tim's document, the section on checking USB device ID's in the
distmap

2. Add the fact that if you run updfstab [-t] as root, there's no need
to do any logging in, etc.

The only problem that I've seen in Fedora Core (both 1 and 2) is that
the usb-storage module doesn't go away fast enough to accommodate
removal and reinsertion of the device after only a minute or two. I
haven't spent much time looking at that problem, but if someone wants to
offer a solution (off-list please!) feel free.

The author using autofs is actually taking kind of the long way around,
I think. After I update my updfstab-tutorial I will e-mail a link to
him.

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE