fedora-docs-list Digest, Vol 6, Issue 3

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Tue Aug 3 19:35:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 13:01, redwire at therockmere.com wrote:
> > My $0.02: CVS is still locked because we don't yet have a workable
> > protocol for prioritizing, assigning, accepting, editing, QA/QC'ing, and
> > automatically Web-fielding documents. I think (hope?) Red Hat people are
> > working on the infrastructure part of that. We are here to talk about
> > those protocols, and not to just grow a plethora of third-party
> > repositories for docs.
> >

> I understand that we maybe waiting on RH, but waiting on something that
> 'may' happen when 'someone' gets to it is like being the bridesmaid and
> never the bride. [also, Sounds like Redmond, WA]

See my erratum for more. I misstated at first, but Karsten subsequently
said it better anyway.

> I'm not trying to be rude or insulting, but IF a working documentation
> structure isn't able to be Resolved\Approved by those people that are
> spending their own free time on it, then 'Houston, we have a problem'.

I think we're actually in agreement here. I'm just trying to state the
case that until we have a process, having CVS write access anywhere is
pointless. We should set the course before we press on the gas pedal.

[...snip...]
> Lastly, I understand that I am new to the group. I understand that I don't
> post alot and am still trying to master DocBook syntax and d'l the
> examples, but I will mention that I have 10+ yrs of computer programming &
> training experience.
> I know from experience that if you don't provide a basis for knowledge for
> others to build on then the product, no matter how good, is destine to
> fall by the wayside.

No argument here. As an aside, I've been a teacher for almost that long
in a number of technical fields, although I'm not a programmer by trade,
which is why I agree that we do need to provide the knowledge, but we
need to make sure we're not taking a shotgun approach. Let's devote this
time to figuring out the protocol, then. Thread to start shortly, and
thanks for your consideration.

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE