Process suggestions vol. 1

Mark Johnson mjohnson at redhat.com
Wed Aug 4 02:05:39 UTC 2004

Hi Paul,

Your brain dump is chock full of useful suggestions, esp regarding the
content of a "Getting Started writng Docs for Fedora", or whatever the
document name turns out to be.

I hope you don't mind if I "appropriate" some of your ideas into the
fedora-docs tutorial:-)

Thanks,
Mark

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> The following is a core dump, because I have to get to a HOA meeting and
> want to strike while the iron is hot. (Why yes, that *does* mean I have
> a thick head, thanks for noticing.)
>
> Ideas for improvied Docs Guide organization:
>
> "Part 0."
> 	Which part you should start reading. If you skip any parts (e.g. you
> already have a tutorial written), what do you need to know to proceed?
>
> Part 1. From idea to assignment.
> 	Guidelines for scope, "pitch" (sorry if it's too Hollywood -- I mean
> defining the syllabus or synopsis), and how to get the FDP's attention
> (where to find us, come with a project in mind if possible, etc.). Why
> this is a good idea rather than just throwing documents at us pell-mell.
> Querying BZ for ideas.
>
> Part 2. From assignment to production.
> 	A slightly gentler how-to on getting the tools working, especially for
> the Emacs/PSGML faint-of-heart. Pointers to other tool sets, and maybe
> even instructions as well. Guidelines for the system you're documenting,
> such as making sure that you're eliminating variables on your system to
> which the "average" Fedora user isn't privy, trying to stick to best
> methods for doing things (up2date vs. cli apt/yum, RPM vs tarballs,
> etc.). Remember that we are not here to "fix" the system, we are here to
> document how to use it as is. (See GNOME Docs Guide for similar
> sentiments.)
> 	We might want to include a style guide here.
>
> Part 3. From production to posting.
> 	How to submit the finished sources (BZ, eventual CVS,
> fedora-docs-list...). What happens to your document after you submit it.
> What the editor's responsibility is to you. What your responsibility is
> to the editor. Approval process.
>
> Part 4. From posting to...? (the grave?)
> 	FDP/editors'/authors' responsibilities for keeping docs updated, and
> how to change hands. Using BZ to report or query problems. Resolving
> problems. Branching documents for different releases of FC.
>
> Just some thoughts, more to come I fear.... :-)

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson at redhat.com>
Red Hat Documentation Group      <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242