Fedora install boot floppy doc

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Wed Aug 4 21:18:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 10:40, David Nedrow wrote:
> I've begun a document that details how to create a boot floppy for
> Fedora installs on systems that don't have CD-ROM drives, etc.
> Several people suggested I participate in the docs list to see about
> adding it into the doc stream.
> It's already in Docbook XML format, since that's what we do all of our
> documentation in at work.
> Several people have already contributed additions, including a script to
> pretty much handle the gruntwork automatically.
> I'm including a text transform of the first draft.
> I haven't lloked at the Fedora doc guidelines yet, but if I remember
> correctly they're pretty straightforward, so it should be relatively
> easy for me to jimmy things around if necessary.
[...snip...]

I only see a few style problems such as voice, etc. Perhaps the document
could also include a bit noting that you can simply take .ko modules
from an existing installation if you have one running that kernel
version. I used to do this a few years ago when presented with the same
problem; I don't know of any relevant 2.6-related issue with that
procedure.

If I can make one small suggestion for the "Create new initrd"
section... all those command lines seem a bit wearying. Why not:

  cd ~/bootwork/initrd-old
  find -type f | cpio -pamd ../initrd-new     # aahhh...
  cd ..
  cp anaconda-ks.cfg initrd-new/ks.cfg
  cp -a modules.cgz initrd-new/modules
  umount initrd-new
  gzip -c9 initrd > initrd.img
  cp initrd.img floppy

Just a thought, there. To me, this is a good idea for a doc, since I've
taught it manually to a bunch of people myself, a couple of them pretty
recently, in fact. If you need someone to edit, feel free to send me the
source when you feel you've tinkered with it sufficiently.

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE