Clarification

redwire at therockmere.com redwire at therockmere.com
Thu Aug 5 12:17:29 UTC 2004

I guess I kicked the hornets nest...so, Let me clarify a couple of points
that I raised in my last post
I am not suggesting that we Fork the doc project.
I used the offer of setting a CVS on my server only as repository for
completed documentation, to be made avail on a website.
I'm not openning my server to become a public FTP. Not going to happen.
But, I may have been a little OT with my terminology. In order to offer my
server for this I need it to be 90-95% automated. Like most of you, I
work, have kids and blah, blah, blah [ insert your busy sched. here ;-) ].
I am looking for controlled thruput. That is why I didn't suggest a WiKi.
I believe that the document integrity needs to be maintained. The DocBook
s/b published to a site with versioning.
I propose to give CVS or U'L access to ONLY the active members of this
list group for upload of Completed project(s). Then they are propagate to
the website. Docs are then avail for dissemination.

OK, here is what I have to ask\state;
1) Is this acceptable to the group?
2) Can CVS port to a live site? if so, where is the tutorial. Is there a
better tool for this idea?
( I can have a Nuke site up ASAP, but I dis-like some of the display
features for docs,but, can the RSS feeds pull the data?)
3) If RH opens their CVS ~ or starts posting docs ~ then they become prime
4) Proposed \ avail names?
5) I'm not asking you, singularly or as a group, to duplicate your
published work to 2 CVS's if there is a way to scrap the RH CVS. if so,
how?

Lastly, Karsten ~ TY for the shameless plug. I love tech writing and
trning, but I'd never get that job ~ I write like I talk ~ rambling
on-and-on-and... you get the idea!

> Since you opened the can, I don't mind a shameless plug  as a reward for
> reading this far ... :) ... There is at least one position for a tech
> writer at Red Hat.
>
> http://redhat.hrdpt.com/cgi-bin/a/highlightjob.cgi?jobid=7
>
> This is the position that authors the System Administration Guide, so
> requires a fair amount of Linux and writing expertise.
>
> If you are a perfect fit for this position, feel free to contact me,
> I'll see your resume gets to the right person.

Thanks,
Brad