<section> vs <sect1>, ... [was: Re: usb-keys]

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Aug 13 20:25:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 13:18, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> What I would *actually* use in
> one of my documents would be something like <sect1 id="s1-introduction">
> or <sect2 id="s2-configuring-fstab">. In fact, you'll see that kind of
> usage throughout all the documents I've marked up or written myself.
> Sorry to give the wrong impression.

It is probably and properly lost in the annals of Red Hat documentation
history as to exactly why this format decision came about ... and as for
sed being your friend, I can tell you it gets harder when you have a
really big doc that has lots of <xref> tags throughout with hard-coded
LINKEND to IDs full of s1-, s2-, s3- and so forth.

We should really run from this convention while there is still time,
before it is not possible to fix thing with sed then make, fix, make,
fix, make, fix ... make, build!

Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
gpg fingerprint: 2680 DBFD D968 3141 0115  5F1B D992 0E06 AD0E 0C41