<section> vs <sect1>, ... [was: Re: usb-keys]

Mark Johnson mjohnson at redhat.com
Fri Aug 13 21:22:22 UTC 2004

Couldn't have sed it better myself!

Thanks Karsten - yes, we should indeed run from this convention
before we get locked in!

Cheers,
Mark

Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 13:18, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
>>What I would *actually* use in
>>one of my documents would be something like <sect1 id="s1-introduction">
>>or <sect2 id="s2-configuring-fstab">. In fact, you'll see that kind of
>>usage throughout all the documents I've marked up or written myself.
>>Sorry to give the wrong impression.
>

> It is probably and properly lost in the annals of Red Hat documentation
> history as to exactly why this format decision came about ... and as for
> sed being your friend, I can tell you it gets harder when you have a
> really big doc that has lots of <xref> tags throughout with hard-coded
> LINKEND to IDs full of s1-, s2-, s3- and so forth.
>
> We should really run from this convention while there is still time,
> before it is not possible to fix thing with sed then make, fix, make,
> fix, make, fix ... make, build!
>
> - Karsten

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson at redhat.com>
Red Hat Documentation Group      <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242