fedora-docs bugs

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Aug 14 16:40:38 UTC 2004

(pardon the top post, want the below for background reference only)

I forwarded this to Mark Webbink, Red Hat's intellectual property
attorney extraordinaire.  Here is his reply:

[snip from Mark Webbink]

Directing people to a Google search is fine.  It also wouldn't hurt to
include somewhere in the documentation at about this same place the
following statement:

"While we encourage FEDORA fans to find new software that is compatible
with FEDORA, downloading software from an unfamiliar site carries some
risks.  One reason some technologies are not included in FEDORA is
because of concerns over known patents.  So as you download, be
knowledgeable about intellectual property issues and don't hesitate to
ask questions of the host site making the download available."

[end snip]

I think this is a good solution Paul came up with, probably the best
compromise we have.  Including example search terms may be too clever,
I'm not sure.  How about the following paragraphs in the References
section of a document (if included):

"One of the powers of Fedora is the enormous community behind it.
You will find that community is your best resource for using Fedora.  To
find popular and useful websites with information, use your
favorite Web search engine, such as http://www.google.com.  Try search
terms such as:

  using fedora to <insert what you want to make Fedora do>
  fedora multimedia software
  fedora packages

While you are encouraged to find new software that is compatible with
Fedora, downloading software from an unfamiliar website carries some
risks.  One reason some technologies are not included in Fedora is
because of concerns over known patents.  As you download, be
knowledgeable about intellectual property issues and don't hesitate to
ask questions of the host site making the download available."

- Karsten