editors

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Aug 16 11:55:00 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 01:09, Dave Pawson wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 18:56, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > Here are some further ideas about the role of an editor:
> <snip/>
> > * Should there be an editorial board?  Such a board would oversee the
> > Fedora docs, make sure we are adhering to our standards, filling in
> > holes, following or advancing our process, etc.
> Were there enough of us here I might agree. Beginning to sniff
> bureaucracy?

I was just writing up some more about the roles, and realized that this
might be true, that it's a lot of silly bureaucracy right now.  The idea
was to just make proper the role that most of us are taking right now,
doing the kind of work I figure the editorial board will be in charge
of.

At the moment we can do it ad-hoc on the list, but hopefully we will get
too busy to handle that, and having a process in place around how
discussions and decisions are handled will be a very good thing.

As an analogy, in construction you might leave a hot and cold water pipe
with a drain capped off in a utility closet, as stubs you can tie into
later to turn into a laundry sink.  Programmers do this with code
stubs.  Think of this as an editorial board stub, useful for when we
need it. :)

Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
gpg fingerprint: 2680 DBFD D968 3141 0115  5F1B D992 0E06 AD0E 0C41