updfstab-tutorial: Status

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Mon Aug 16 17:27:41 UTC 2004

I have a new, improved version of the updfstab-tutorial (soon to be
renamed) available. If you visit <http://docs.frields.org> you'll find
instructions for grabbing the latest version of my docs from my
subversion (SVN) server.

Dave Pawson spent some valuable time giving me comments and input which
(hopefully) is incorporated in the new version.

N.B. that my SVN server is not intended as a repository for anyone's
work except that which I'm doing myself, or on which I'm collaborating
with others. I found myself doing work on these docs both at home and
away, and got really tired of the revision control, updating the Web
site with new tarballs, etc. I'm sure every developer is smart enough to
solve the problem before it crops up, but since I'm not much of a
developer this was my first foray into RCS/SCCS/CVS/SVN, et al.

If someone has a problem with my instructions or getting the stuff, I
hope you'll let me know so I can fix it. Currently it works for me at
work and home. The anonymous access is, of course, read-only.

I've been told that ViewCVS works with SVN now, but I haven't been able
to make it work. The best I get is generation of a web page that
basically just generates a directory listing of the Berkeley db files --
basically useless as a Web interface. And I think I broke that, in any
case. But at least I still have both pieces. :-)

Tech help will gladly be accepted off-list, since it will likely bore
the subscribers to tears or violence.

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE