editors

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Aug 16 21:05:41 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 06:15, Colin Charles wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 03:56, Karsten Wade wrote:

> > * Also, much of the editing traffic can be in bugzilla, as each document
> > will have it's own bug throughout it's lifecycle.
>
> Yup, this is the way. Might I also discourage hosting documents on
> external sites? Using Bugzilla's "attach file" will work

I just reached that part in the process ... I'm sort of torn here.

I see the obvious value in not having random DRAFT copies in the wild.
At the same time, it is quite onerous to update bugzilla each time you
fix a typo in your file.

Hosting on a personal site keeps down excessive attachments to bugzilla
and the list.

There is also a psychological boost while writing to see your work take
shape with each consecutive build.

How about a big CAUTION that you don't want personal hosting to become a
de facto location for the document, so don't advertise it, and make
certain to post point released and other significant updates to the
bugzilla in preference to any hosting?

Reduce it from a recommended practice to a cautioned practice, in other
words.

Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
gpg fingerprint: 2680 DBFD D968 3141 0115  5F1B D992 0E06 AD0E 0C41