FedoraCommunity.org (was:Re: fedora-docs bugs)

Stuart Ellis s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 19:53:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 23:32, Karsten Wade wrote:

> Should we add that text to a References <section> in every document that
> wants to refer to sources of information outside of the guide itself?
>
> That References <section> would include listing other Fedora docs, but
> would not specify any non-Fedora URL or project name, instead suggesting
> a Google search.
>
> IMO, this is also more useful to our readers -- our docs aren't
> populated with links liable to get outdated or be difficult to
> maintain, and readers get access to popular and useful sources of
> information.

I think that this is a very good idea.  I suspect that most
documents/tutorials can potentially have links to third-party sites, but
keeping the URLs up to date on a large set could be near impossible even
with a checking script to flag broken links.

A bibliography style References section would probably offer enough
keywords for Google with no maintenance.  And Google cache offers some
insurance against referenced docs just disappearing...