common opening sections (was Re: Style guide)

Dave Pawson davep at dpawson.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 17:27:51 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 03:32, Mark Johnson wrote:
> >>From Dave's response, I'm not sure I know what kind of metadata you are
> > talking about.  Is this part of the DocBook structure?

Yes, sorry. docbook too has metadata, which isn't too regular
(Due to be updated in 5.0 and regularised).

E.g.
 <article>
  <articleinfo>
      contains metadata.

> I confess to using the term metadata a bit loosely.
>
> The above statement simply asks which of the above suggested
> subsections would make sense to include in the introductory
> <section>.
I sort of gathered something along those lines was taking place :-)

>  The subsections do, indeed, provide document metadata
> (=data about the document), but if someone wants to start a semantic
> argument about the meaning of metadata,

No way :-)

> > Having a contributors <section> (as part of the single, common file)
> > would be a good way to handle long lists of contributors.

Docbook does allow for that in its markup.
http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/authorgroup.html

>  Otherwise, I
> > would recommend hacking the stylesheet so we didn't have a full page of
> > authors as the standard DB stylesheets does for the <authorgroup>.
Customising it? +1
  Probably not required for other than multiple author docs.

--
Regards DaveP.
XSLT&Docbook  FAQ