taking screenshots - new section for Documentation Guide (was installation guide)

Dave Pawson davep at dpawson.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 17:48:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 18:33, Karsten Wade wrote:

> In many situations, I'm not even sure I want any styling for the
> contents of _some_ of my <screen> and <programlisting> blocks (esp.
> <programlisting>).  It should be unstyled fixed-width fonts, no bold, no
> extra fancy characters, no matter if it's utf-8 or iso-whatever.

<grin/> Which is a pretty good definition of a style IMHO.

> If that is the case, then we wouldn't use CDATA blocks for <screen>.
> FWIW, putting CDATA in e.g. <computeroutput/> does not validate, but it
> does build PDF and HTML.

Its not a validity issue. Simply well-formedness.

> * We modify current usage rules to show a couple of acceptable styles
> and which ones are likely to break or cause problems.  Specify that the
> point is not XML styling but quality of output -- if your code gets the
> desired output of no extra vertical or horizontal whitespace in PDF or
> HTML, then it's fine.

-1.
  I'd have thought the project needs valid XML instances.

> * <screen> has <computeroutput> or <userinput> within it to be
> semantically correct.

Why isn't screen 'right' for the contents of the screen?
Or if you are talking about a programs output, or a user input,
then use computeroutput or userinput.

> * <programlisting> always uses a CDATA section to preserve every detail
> from processing (XSL and CSS included).

But thats the point of stylesheets Karsten, to apply style.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#sec-cdata-sect

An example of a CDATA section, in which "<greeting>" and "</greeting>"
are recognized as character data, not markup:

<![CDATA[<greeting>Hello, world!</greeting>]]>

That's all CDATA sections do.

--
Regards DaveP.
XSLT&Docbook  FAQ