Installation Guide 0.4

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at yahoo.co.in
Tue Dec 21 00:26:03 UTC 2004

--- Stuart Ellis <s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

> DocBook:

http://www.se.clara.net/fedora/fedora-install-guide-0.4.0.tar.gz

> HTML:

http://www.se.clara.net/fedora/fedora-install-guide-en/index.html

You might want to write a more cheerful and less
technical introduction

End users typically might not under what open source
or 64/32 bit systems means. Try throwing around words
like user friendly, full blown office,suites, games
and stuff if you are targetting newbies esp desktop
users

2. Before You Begin

Might consider adding a note explaining the
differences between these architectures and how they
are supposed to identify which ones to download

one of the FAQ's is the minimum amount of cd's
required cd's to complete the installation. so you can
mention that a personal desktop only requires that
first two cds and that you can use the minimum boot
iso image to do a http/ftp installation here

potential questions to answer

what does dhcp mean?. how do I identify whether my
network is using dhcp?

It might be worth moving this para to the section on
network installation that follows

2.1. Installation on a Network

I suspect that more people install fedora on their
home systems and not on a network. consider moving
this section to the pages where you explain the
network setup options

Chapter 1. Beginning the Installation

"Fedora Core does not support installation from
diskettes."

I am not everyone would understand the term
"diskettes" here. The explanation seems too technical
and assumes that everyone would know what an RPM means
for example..

Try this approach

1) Explain how to download and what to download and
check the md5sum to verify that the download has been
successful
2) How to write a CD image using to the disk
3) What are the types of installation and how to
choose amoung them
4) what is the inventory of itmems that the end user
is expected to know?
5) How do I allocate space and partition my system.
whatis the recommended sizes. Would the installer be
able to resize it?

The installation guide should give the critical
information is small easy to understand steps right at
the start and explain the more technical points at the
relavant sections. Currently the flow reads more like
a reference

1.3. Booting from the Network using PXE

what is PXE?

Chapter 2. Upgrading Over An Existing System

Would upgrading save my configuration and data?
Is upgrading recommended over a clean installation?

"2.1.1. Upgrading Boot Loader Configuration"

explain that Fedora uses GRUB(Grand unified boot
loader) as the default one.

dont mention LILO prominently. Just add a note. its
depreciated and likely to confuse the users reading it
as to the differences and the choice

Chapter 6. Network Configuration

a short note on what DHCP means technically would be
nice..

6.1. Network Devices'

"clickEdit" should have a space between the words. an
example of sample configuration information should be
added

6.2. Computer Hostname

Home users typically need not worry about setting up a
meaninful name and can choose one arbitrarily. it is
also possible to change the hostname after the
installation. reassure them of this

6.3. Miscellaneous Settings

whats a DNS?. technical note

7.2. SELinux

SE stands for Security Enhanced.

link to selinux faq

Chapter 10. Set Root Password

Windows users will typically understand
"administrator" better than "special user"

"You have the opportunity to create a user account for
yourself during the initial boot process."

how about this: "You have the oppurtunity to create a
non administrative user account for normal tasks
towards the end of the installation process"

the warning should also advise users against choosing
easily identifiable personal information like a phone
number of girl friend of the week as the password

Chapter 12. About to Install

the warning should also add that the users should
press cancel or reboot? button to stop the
installation if they dont want to continue

I will send my feedback on the appendix later

=====
Regards
Rahul Sundaram