Appropriate tags for service names and syslog facilties?

Mike MacCana mikem at cyber.com.au
Wed Feb 25 03:15:50 UTC 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Tammy Fox wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 23:47, Mike MacCana wrote:
>
> > In each of the tutorials I'm writing, if there's an appropriate Red Hat
> > GUI config tool for the service, I provide instructions on installing,
> > configuring, enabling and starting the service graphically (as well as the
> > standard command line method provided for all services).
> >
> > Hence you end up with something like:
> >
> > <para>
> > Start the <command>httpd</command> service and set it to start by default.
> > <guimenu>Main Menu</guimenu> =>
> >  <guimenuitem>System Settings</guimenuitem> =>
> > <guimenuitem>Services</guimenuitem>, select the <command>httpd</command> service
> > and click Start to start the service (use Restart if it is already running).
> > </para>
> >

> In this instance, the menu item is HTTP and should be tagged as a
> guimenuitem. You are referring to the name of the menu item, not the
> actual service.

That's correct - I should have used a better example:

'The service name for Samba is smb'

Here we're clearly not referring to command line applications or graphical
interfaces - but simply telling people what the service for a particular
application is.

I;'m not really too fussed about this, but I hope you can see the point
that it would be nice to have a specific markup for a service.

Mike