Using elvis?

Hoyt hoyt at cavtel.net
Fri Jul 30 15:32:58 UTC 2004

On Friday 30 July 2004 02:34 am, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > Why can't we use elvis.redhat.com ? Anaconda, translations and so on
> > happen at elvis, so why not fedora docs? This will mean external
> > contributors *can* commit to cvs as well
>
> This is an interesting end-run idea.  Speaking for myself, my
> inclination is not to create a parallel system to what is being worked
> on and waited for.

And it looks a little neglected as well, focusing as it does on RH8
documentation that is painfully incomplete.

As a technical writer, I have always found the requirement to use complex
formatting tools an onerous burden. Unless formatting is crucial to
understanding the content, it is a task better left to an editor. While I
certainly understand the need to use sophisticated formatting in this case

The focus for the writer should be on what they do best: content. The
important work of formatting (if not known by the writer, and there's no
reason why they can't learn it if they wish) should be left to those who are
experts there. That there are volunteers that offer to handle that is
wonderful and a great example of cooperative work to acjhieve a goal.

Is there a web page to recruit writing volunterrs? and provide them with
enough information so that they may feel comfortable making a contribution?
If not, I'd be glad to offer a draft of such a page.

Hoyt